Author Topic: Nero and Cleo operating fine initially, now DEAD?  (Read 3804 times)

ahend

• View Profile
Nero and Cleo operating fine initially, now DEAD?
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:26 AM »
Greetings,

After finally having the time to focus on the Cleo interface for the development of a simple PLC HMI project, I uploaded and studied several examples without issue. During this time I found that all was working well. After leaving the Nero/Cleo setup plugged into external power and USB for a few hours, I returned to pick up where I left off and found that both the Nero and Cleo modules were unresponsive. The Cleo display was unlit and blank and the Nero module was no longer recognized by my PC. I separated the units and tried to power both individually with the PC USB connection. Although the power LED's on both units will light, the hardware is unresponsive an dark. Cleo no longer turns on the backlighting, or displays an image and the Nero is essentially a brick with a power LED.

Any troubleshooting information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Andrew
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:47:41 AM by ahend »

prashanthb

• View Profile
Re: Nero and Cleo operating fine initially, now DEAD?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Few questions to narrow done the issue. (1) On the stand alone NerO, can any of the sketches be uploaded? (2) Does WinUSB device enumerate when CleO35 is connected to PC? (3) Are a lot of eflash file write/sd file write apis been used in the application. (4)Does CleO35 work with any other NerO or Arduino module (5) Jumper setting on CN10 of CleO35 module (6) Is it possible to send us your application to reproduce the issue.

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
@prashanthb
Thank You for responding.

Regarding your questions...
(1) Currently, Windows 10 is not exposing an interface for Nero when plugged in so the on-board UART is not accessible for any type of communication.
(2) I used USBTrace to watch all host controllers when the Cleo module was plugged in. The module was never detected. This is the same for Nero.
(3) & (6) The application that was running when I last left the setup was the Arduino built in communication example "SerialCallResponseASCII"
(4) I've been using PIC micro's in the past for this type of task so I do not have any other Arduino platforms. I will try to get my hands on another soon.
(5) CN10: 5V=ON, 3V3=OFF, IOREF=OFF

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:10:51 AM »
I did some basic power and signal troubleshooting on the Nero and found that the FT231X USB UART was damaged. This seemed consistant with the random and simultaneous steady high state of both the Tx and Rx signals. After replacing the UART, the Nero will now communicate and I can upload and run compiled code. All seems well there.

On to the Cleo......
I'm not sure what caused the UART damage to Nero but I will trace in the corrupted signals into Cleo and see what I might find. The LCD backlighting on Cleo is dead, as is the signal right out of the video engine FT810Q. The FT810Q is also getting very hot and my 5V and 3.3V sources have each dropped exactly one volt - perhaps wasted to the excess heat. I may take the package off and see if these working voltages bounce back.

Andrew

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:50:29 AM »
I just pulled the video engine (FT231X) (FT810Q) off Cleo and my working voltages came back into spec. Unfortunately I pulled up one trace in the effort so I will have to do a little bridge work. Guess I'm now waiting for a new FT231X FT810Q.

Andrew
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:09:24 AM by ahend »

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:56:09 AM »
FT231X is on NerO, not CleO. Do you mean the FT810Q?

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:08:34 AM »
Yes, I have that mixed up, thanks Fred. It's the FT810Q graphic controller that appears to have taken a hit on my Cleo.

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »
OK, thanks. You must be quite experienced in the art of SMD soldering to attempt that yourself. Well done for trying. Would you prefer we just swapped you a new CleO?

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
Well thanks again Fred, I really appreciate the offer. I would however like to try and place another graphic controller before I give up, plus I already have one on order with DigiKey. If I continue to run into issues, would you still be willing to extend the offer?

The FT810Q was reflowed in very well and it has a huge heatsink making it a bit more difficult to remove. On a package like this I usually bring in heat from underneath, provided that is an option, until things start flowing but I had trouble reaching that point with my rework station. In hindsight I should have stopped and put on a larger nozzle but I was getting impatient. In my haste I decided to give the package a little help with the edge of a scalpel. It never ends well when you start thinking like that! Ultimately I had to come around top, re-flux and then soak the entire package for a good while before it floated off.

I'm certainly not proficient in this kind of repair but I am sufficiently damaged enough to think that I might be able to make it happen.

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »
No problem - if you'd like to have a go replacing the FT810Q then please do so. The offer is still open if you need a replacement. Let us know, after you try the new FT810Q...

ahend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
I was able to get my Cleo operating again after installing a new FT810Q graphics controller. Now the working voltages are back in spec and the chip is operating at a normal temperature.

I'm still not sure exactly what may have happened but most likely some spike or short came across the exposed UART pins and damaged both serial interfaces. Perhaps my on-board code at the time had something to do with it, as the Nero UART was blindly pumping out ASCII.

Andrew

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
Well done Andrew - that was pretty impressive. When it failed were you powering it from USB or a PSU connected to NerO ?