Author Topic: Installation Problems  (Read 8973 times)

NeilMan

• View Profile
Installation Problems
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »
Iíve had a play with the CleO but canít make it show anything other than the sign-on screen (Cleo and Version).

I have put long pins on a Ner0, tried the blink sketch Ė works fine, its Com5 on my Windows machine running Arduino 1.6.7.
Libraries copied over as instructed, Arduino fire up and shows all the tutorials and projects.

Animated string & animated bitmap compile and upload with no error but Cleoís still there smiling at me.

I even tried starting the serial monitor (startup instruction suggested it - but why?) no fix.

Power on/off (with Ner0's switch) no difference - still Cleo smiling at me.

What, if anything, did I miss?

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
Re: Installation Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
Not sure why, yet. Sounds link CleO and Nero are not talking to each other. CleO uses SPI and one interrupt to communicate. Check the jumpers on your CleO - SPI select should be D10, interface voltage level = 5V,  interrupt = D2 ( I think )

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
My jumpers were as set in the factory.

On a whim I fished my second Cle0 out and connected that to the pre-programmed Ner0 - after a blink of Cleo the football animation appeared that I had programmed into Ner0.  :)

Checking the second Cle0 I found the interrupt jumper (from factory) was set for D3.

I changed the jumper from D2 to D3 on my first Cle0 and tried it on the Ner0 again but no change - Cleo still smiling at me.  :'(

Looking at the SCK LED on the Ner0 it is slightly dimmer and flashing at high speed on the good Cle0 but slightly brighter and possibly not flashing on the bad Cle0.

Looks like there is something wrong with my Cle0 - screenwise good but something funny with the interface/logic?

For info suspect module ... CleO35A Batch 11600361 Serial 160416170084 & Good module ... CleO35A Batch 11600361 Serial 160416170087

Looks like there was some advantage in getting two Cle0s - but that's not why I bought two  :(

Any more ideas?

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
Well, that's good news, kind of. Looks like D3 is the correct setting, for the interrupt pin ( I'm replying from home so I don't have one in front of me but I'll fix that come Monday ).

Right, seems like the first CleO is faulty, sorry, the action plan is to replace this with a good one ASAP and we need the faulty one back to re-test and improve the factory test procedures.We'll do this by Fedex/DHL at no cost to yourself. I'll email you privately on Monday with the details.

Apologies, and thanks for being a CleO pioneer,

Fred.

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
Hi Neil,
our support folks should contact you by email today regarding your faulty CleO
Cheers,
Fred

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
Hi Neil,
Do me a favour - re-plug the faulty Cleo into NerO and let me know if starts working or not.
Thanks,
Fred

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:30:32 PM »
Hi Fred,

I'm at work at the moment (Air Traffic Control no less  :) ) but will have another crack at NerO and CleO when I get home - circa 5:30 and report my findings.

Given that I have now found out about the IRQ setting line in the code I *might* be able to change the code to use the other IRQ to see if I have an IRQ 10 break. Not the "right fix" perhaps but possibly worth a shot.

Its annoying that the display itself is clearly working but you can eventually get enough of smiling Cleopatra  ;)

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
Ok
starting with a working scribble pad application on the good CleO
plugging the duff CleO into my NerO gets me just a smiling Cleo.

Changed Cleo.h entry IRQ to 2, shift the jumper on good & bad CleO to #2 - recompile and upload - good works, bad still doesn't
Changed Cleo.h IRQ back to 3 reset both jumpers to #3
Changed Cleo.h Chip Select to 7, shift the jumper to #7 on both CleOs - recompile and upload - good works, bad still doesn't
Changed Cleo.h Chip Select back to 10, reset both jumpers back to #10
Same again, recompile & upload - however somewhere down the line my scribble application won't work on either Cleo

tried reloading scribble.ino, replacing from downloaded Zip -still broken no idea why

Tried speedometer and nixie both compile and upload and work on the good Cleo and just the darned smiling cleo on the bad one.

Prashanth sent me a "debug" sketch...

Code: [Select]
#include <SPI.h>
#include <CleO.h>

void setup()
{
  /* Initialize CleO - needs to be done only once */
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Before cleo begin");
  CleO.begin();
  Serial.println("After cleo begin");

/* Start building a screen frame */
  Serial.println("Before cleo start");

CleO.Start();
  Serial.println("after cleo begin");

/* Draw a string "Hello World" at (160, 240) */
  CleO.String(160, 240, "Hello world");

/* Display completed screen frame */
  CleO.Show();
}

void loop() {}

Good CleO outputs this...

Before cleo begin
r0=0
r1=1D7F

synced
After cleo begin
Before cleo start
after cleo begin

I get a small white font "Hello world" in the middle of a portrait black screen.

But with the bad CleO I get this...

Before cleo begin
r0=0
r1=F7D1

r0=0
r1=F7D1

r0=0
r1=F7D1

r0=0
r1=F7D1

... repeating forever

Don't know what happened to my scribble sketch I can't make it work any more and that was a really nice demo.  :(

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
Well I edited the scribble sketch, adding a delay after the first Show keyword ... and the darned thing worked again.
removed the delay and it still worked.

Really weird. At least I've got my sketchpad back  :)

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »
Prashanth has suggested I *might* have old firmware in module #84 and that I should try updating the firmware - I shall try that this evening.

Does the screen report version (besides 1.0.0) in the numbers presented on screen at switch-on?
(I never got round to actually seeing if the numbers were the same on both CleOs - will check that too)

Odd the way the duff CleO had IRQ on D2 out of the packet and the good one was on D3.

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
Had a good rummage and found about using the PCTools.
I've installed it properly but it comes up with a windows error "dfu-util.exe has stopped" then PCTools reports upgrade failed.
I am using Windows 7 64-bit home premium SP1
Tried running PCTools as admin - no difference still failed
Tried running in [XP] compability mode - success dfu-util works but fail cleo upgrade failed again
Dfu-util reports "no such file or directory could not open file cleo_firmware.bin.~~tmp for reading"

In the c:\users\public\documents\cleo pc tools\ folder is a "CLeO_Factory_Firmware.bin" (258,048 bytes)

I'm stuck

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 04:14:59 AM »
We'll take a look at the PCTools Utility. I think it's best if we just send you a replacement CleO as this is taking a lot of your time.
Thanks and Best Regards, Fred

NeilMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
Hi Fred,
I picked up a parcel from the post office today containing the replacement Cle035, a Reverse-IO and stylus.

Checked the Cle035 - and it worked perfectly out of the box (as did the stylus of course  :) )

But ... you're not going to believe this ... the Reverse-IO didn't work. Tried it with a NerO and a regular UNO - definitely not working. It's a simple board just PCB and pins but the Cle0 refuses to work with it - back to Cleo smiling at me.  :(

I'm going to have to check the connections and see if there is a dry joint or something there   :o

Update: I tried running CleO and NerO (back to back) but with the suspect Reverse-IO fitted topside - ie not in use and the sketch wouldn't start - only smiling Cleo. Not buzzed the Reverse-IO out yet but it looking more like a short somewhere rather than a break?

Update2: My new Reverse-IO PCB has a dead-short between adjacent pins D13 and GND. Can't see anything obvious but it is a solid short-circuit.

Lucky aren't I?  :'(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:26:35 PM by NeilMan »

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »
Gosh Neil - that is exceedingly unlucky. My apologies once again and I'll get another one off to you in the post ASAP.
Sigh...
Fred

Fred Dart

• CEO of FTDI
  • Administrator
  • Welcome...
    • View Profile
    • FTDI CleO Page
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
Hmm, looking at your faulty CleO again - a good one gives
r0=0
r1=1D7F

and your bad one gives
r0=0
r1=F7D1

repeatedly as it's polling for a 1D7F reply.

Now, 1D7F is F7D1 backward, right? Maybe, Prashanth's theory about your firmware being out of date on your faulty CleO is correct - I'll check with the guys tomorrow to see if we changed from little to big endian format ( or vice-versa ) somewhere down the development route. Shouldn't have happened **but** be good to clear this one up.